Life can present many types of challenges and crises, which can lead us to feel overwhelmed sometimes.
While feeling down from time-to-time is a normal part of life, persistent sadness that lingers for more than a few weeks may start to impede our daily routines and lead to a depressive episode. Depression can manifest in a variety of ways depending on the individual and their circumstance, including:
- feeling excessively sad, disappointed, irritable, miserable, tearful, overwhelmed, frustrated or guilty
- avoiding activities such as work, school, socialising, exercising or other things that have brought pleasure in the past
- having trouble concentrating
- having disturbed sleep patterns
- turning to sedatives/alcohol/recreational drugs to mask the pain or to feel numb
- having frequent negative thoughts that drain self confidence
- feeling tired, lethargic, run down or frequently unwell; experiencing headaches and muscle pains
- changes in appetite that result in either significant weight loss or gain
How we support you
Depression can be effectively treated through psychological counselling. At Peyton Psychology, we use a variety of evidenced based therapeutic modalities and work with you to develop an effective treatment plan that is personalised to your individual needs. We help you to better understand the underlying causes of your depression and provide you with psychological skills and tools to manage it better. This will result in you overcoming any belief that you don’t deserve to experience joy, pleasure and happiness again.